GMRI respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your information through compliance with this policy. Please read this policy carefully. If you do not agree with our policies and practices, you may refrain from using this Site. If you have questions about this policy, please feel free to email us at [email protected].
GMRI may collect PII when You choose to interact with GMRI in ways that require GMRI to gather such information, such as if You register as a Website user, or provide content to the Website through Your computer or smart device. The amount and type of information that GMRI gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. In each case, GMRI collects such information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of Your interaction with the Website. GMRI does not disclose PII other than as described below. And You can always refuse to supply PII, with the caveat that doing so may prevent You from engaging in certain Website activities.
GMRI discloses potential or actual PII only to those of its programmers, contractors, and affiliated organizations that: (i) need to know that PII in order to process it on GMRI’s behalf or to provide services available at the Website; and (ii) have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of Your home country and, therefore, by using GMRI’s Website, You consent to the transfer of such PII to them. GMRI will not rent or sell potential or actual PII to anyone.
- Information Volunteered by Registered Users. Some services or areas of our Website include options to input additional information about yourself. For example, Registered Users can – but are not required to – add biographical information to Your public profile, contribute data including Field Notes to projects, and participate in online discussions. Any information you choose to provide in these comment and forum areas, however characterized, will be at your option and is therefore completely voluntary. GMRI does not monitor, edit or control public posts by You or any User while using the Website or its public discussion forums. You are responsible for any PII You choose to put in a public post on a discussion forum or comment. GMRI advises You to be aware of these possibilities and to be cautious of what information, including PII, that You include in a public post or provide to a Project.
In addition, the Website provides you with the opportunity to leave comments or participate in forums, which are hosted by a third-party software called Discourse. Unless otherwise expressly provided for in this policy, GMRI shall have no liability to you or to any third party with respect to information submitted voluntarily by you via the Website.
- Other Circumstances in which we will share PII. Other than to Our employees, contractors, and affiliated organizations, as described herein, GMRI discloses potential and actual PII only when required to do so by law, or when GMRI believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of GMRI, third parties, or the public at large. Unless authorized by You through Your opt-in, or as provided herein, We will make Your PII available to non-affiliated third parties only in the following circumstances
a. If We are compelled to do so by a governmental agency, court or other entity (for example, to respond to subpoenas, court orders or legal process);
c. If, in Our sole discretion, We believe disclosure is necessary to investigate or resolve possible problems or inquiries, to protect Our assets, to defend Our interests or comply with Our legal and regulatory obligations.
- Children. We do not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from children. Visitors less than 13 years of age may not register themselves as Network participants. If a parent or guardian agrees, youth under 13-years of age may participate via that parent or guardian’s registration and username. We strongly encourage parents and guardians to stay closely involved in this participation to prevent young participants from inadvertently sharing PII in discussion posts or data contributions. If You believe that We might have inappropriate information about a child less than 13 years of age, please contact Us at EcosystemInvestiga[email protected] with details and a link to the content of concern.
- Other use of Non-PII Aggregate Information. We may use non-identifying and aggregate information to design and operate better Our Website and provide services to You.
a. Log Files. As is true of most websites, We may gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and click-stream data. We may use this information, which does not identify individual users, to analyze trends, to administer the Website, to track users’ movements around the Website and to gather demographic information about Our user base as a whole.
We may use both session ID cookies and persistent cookies. We may use session cookies to make it easier for You to navigate the Website. A session ID cookie expires when You close Your browser. A persistent cookie remains on Your hard drive for an extended period of time. You can remove persistent cookies by following directions provided in Your browser’s ‘Help’ file.
- Third-Party Service Providers. GMRI uses a variety of third-party service providers to operate this Website and provide the services found here. These third parties include but are not limited to Google Analytics to help us understand our Website usage; Survey Monkey, to facilitate and process user surveys; DigitalOcean, the cloud hosting provider where the platform managed, and the Discourse open source discussion platform to support discussion forums. In some cases, these third parties place and read their own cookies, web beacons, and similar technologies to collect information through the Website. Some of the third-party service providers have access to certain personal information (as described in their Privacy Policies); and in other cases, they have access to only non-personal information. If required under applicable law, GMRI engages third-party service providers under written agreements that limit the third-party service provider’s use of personal information in a manner consistent with this policy.
Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a free web analytics service offered by Google. We use Google Analytics to track information, such as how many people visit our websites, pages they view, links they click, and more. We do not use the advertising features of Google Analytics on our Websites. If you do not wish to have any of your usage data collected by Google Analytics, Google has developed an Opt-out Browser add-on, which is available on the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on page.
Links to Third-Party Websites & Services. The Website may contain links to and may be linked by websites operated by other entities or individuals not owned by Concord Consortium, and not otherwise under our control. For example, Concord uses FastSpring to provide our online storefront functionality and process payments for our Fathom software. This policy does not apply to, and Concord Consortium has no control over, the activities of such other third-party websites and/or services. You should consult the respective privacy policies of those third-party websites and services before inputting any personal information.
Gulf of Maine Research Institute
350 Commercial Street
Portland, ME 04101